Tuesday, June 19, 2012

I Started My Family Home Child Care Business With Only $600





In the fall of 1998, an idea came to me, “Start a Daycare.” Immediately after the thought entered my mind, I rejected it. I said to myself, NOT A Daycare



Opening a Child Care Business 
is one of the best decisions that 
I have ever made in my life.


I still believe to this day that the thought was an idea sent by God, because I had no prior childcare experience. In fact, I only had six years of experience as a Medical Assistant.

Weeks after the thought of starting a daycare entered my mind; I decided to give it a try. I placed an ad in the local newspaper and two-weeks after placing the ad, all of my enrollment slots were full. So, I set an opening date of December 27, 1998 and I gave my employer a 30-day notice.

 
After my decision was made, I went out and bought equipment and materials for my daycare with on of my paycheck in the amount of $600.

What Did $600 Buy?

Believe it or not, I was able to buy all of the equipment that I needed to start my family home childcare business as an unlicensed provider that cared for 4 children. Those items included the following:

  • Play pens for infant/toddlers
  • tables & chairs
  • art material
  • table toy items
  • high chairs
  • toys for infants
  • some shelving
  • playground toys
I would also like to add that most of the items that I bought were purchased from a garage sale or a thrift store. To keep the start-up cost low, I suggest to start-up with used items and then when your business starts to make money; upgrade your materials.

To read my entire Child Care Business start-up story and for a detailed start-up equipment list, be sure to download a copy of my e-book, 10 Steps To Starting Up a Child Care Business.

I wish you much success in business,

Shiketa Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment