Wednesday, November 2, 2011

New Child Care Business Start-up: Linda Price of Blessed Ones Early Learning Academy

  
 Check out my blog interview with Linda Price, Owner  and Operater of Blessed Ones Early Learning Academy since June 2011.


Shiketa Morgan: Why did you decide to open a childcare center?

Linda Price: Blessed Ones was born out of the desire to nurture young lives.  My decision to work with children began when I was a child.  As a teen, I always dreamed of working as a nurse in the maternity unit. I settled on child care because I know that I can make a positive difference in children's lives.  If I can be a positive influence in one child's life then my living and work will not be in vain.


Shiketa Morgan: Tell me about your business? What are your goals? What is the Mission for your business?

Linda Price: I opened Blessed Ones Early Learning Academy on June 20, 2011 after caring for children in my home for 18 years. Our name came to be because these little "ones" are truly a "blessing" from God.  They also develop "early", in "learning" their world around them, from the day they are born.  The definition of "academy" is a school for special instruction. We are truly a place where we are motivating young minds to build strong foundations. 

We are a State Licensed "Class A" Center serving Baton Rouge, Louisiana and surrounding area.  Here, we are creating a safe, healthy environment that promotes the physical, social, emotional, and cognitive development of the children, as well as respond to the needs of the family. Our capacity is 20. Services that set us apart are:  Workshops for parents one weekend a month, reports on each child every six months to chart their development progress, parents night out- once a month, activities to keep the body moving and healthy, parent/child participation in a talent show, father/child activities.


Goals:  To produce happy, intelligent, well-adjusted children. I also want the children to be prepared for Pre-K when they enter public school.

Mission/Vision: Blessed Ones is committed to providing an affordable as well as professional early childhood program.  Blessed Ones is committed to supporting DAP (developmentally appropriate practice which are conducive to a well structured learning environment) and enhancing learning while considering the individual needs of each child and family.  The long term goal is to see that every child in the care of BOELA reach his/her highest potential which will enable them to be successful in future endeavors. I hope to one day have more than one location. 

My promise to the parents of BOELA is as follows:
                                          I promise everyday your children will learn something.
                                              Some days they will bring it home in their hands.
                                              Some days they will bring it home in their heads.
                                              Some days they will bring it home in their hearts.

                                                             The author is unknown, but I agree!!

Shiketa Morgan: How was the start-up process for you?
Linda Price: The start-up process was pretty stressful for me, because I knew what I wanted and how I wanted it to be and making sure it was in compliance. We purchased a house and brought it up to code for the Fire Marshall and health dept.









Shiketa Morgan: How has the childcare business owner network, inspired you in your business endeavors?
Linda Price: The network is very inspiring because I have gleamed some tips that I did not think of and other tips I knew and had implemented, so it let me know that I was on the right track. Mrs. Morgan has taken a vow that I have expressed, "If I can help someone not make the same mistakes I made, then why not."


Shiketa Morgan: What advice would you give to someone else that is working on starting up a childcare business?
Linda Price: Evaluate!!!! Know why, how, who.  Do your homework up front - Zoning, fire marshal codes, health and hospital codes, licensing regulations and most of all finance so you can start in the black. Find a mentor who understands the business. Have a minimum of 3 to 6 months worth of finance in case something happens or children leave (or have parents that are slow at paying - we all have one or two).

Set policies before hand or parents will set them for you. Advertise before opening and have children and staff already in place for a smooth opening. Attend Director's Network Meetings if available and stay in contact with your resource people. Follow you dream and remember why your started this journey.  I am truly happy that I expanded into my facility and learned to be patient with every step because excellence takes time and God will provide in His perfect time. So wait for Him.

Are you ready to start a home daycare or a childcare center? Download the 10 Steps to starting up a childcare business today! click here Do you feel stuck in your decision to get started? Check out the Going to another Level Mastermind e-club.


No comments:

Post a Comment